Join the OPAL Team
OPAL Community Land Trust is a private non-profit organization entrusted with government grants and private contributions to provide housing for island residents who cannot access housing in the traditional market. We highly value the confidence placed in us by our supporters; we honor and respect each individual who interacts with us.
The Accounting Specialist administers financial transactions and property data for the organization in a timely and accurate manner.
This a year-round position, averaging 25 hours per week, with opportunities for growth. Work could be a mix of remote and in-office with some in-office time required and scheduled during regular business hours (Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 4 PM). Compensation is dependent upon experience. $24.00 per hour plus sick leave, Paid Time Off, options for pro-rata share of health insurance and contribution to SIMPLE IRA. The Accounting Specialist is selected, hired, supervised and evaluated by the Finance Director of OPAL Community Land Trust. Employment is at-will.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced accounts payable fund accounting professional who is skilled with Microsoft 365, has strong ethics, good communication, and is excited to work for a mission-driven organization.
- Administer financial transactions in Abila MIP Fund Accounting software, including but not limited to accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash disbursements, and journal entries across multiple funds in the Chart of Accounts.
- Receive, process, verify and reconcile accounts payable invoices. Prepare checks for signature by Executive Director and/or Trustee or ACH transactions for approval by signature authority.
- Run financial reports for management.
- Enter property data and other information into Salesforce customer relationship management software.
- Check for accuracy in figures, postings and reports. Correct or note and report any discrepancies found in records.
- Assists with other projects as needed.
- Review invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment.
- Prioritize invoices according to funding source, discount potential and payment terms.
- Process reimbursement requests by OPAL homeowners and neighborhoods.
- Match invoices to checks; obtain required signature(s); distribute checks.
- Match receipts to credit card charges.
- Administer cash distributions and ACH transactions.
- Request taxpayer identification numbers from contractors; respond to vendor inquiries; prepare and mail 1099’s.
- Assist with month-end closing activities.
- Enter assessed values, property taxes for OPAL properties, changes in rental tenants and other information into Salesforce customer relationship management system.
- May prepare invoices to bill other organizations for credit reports or other services; may prepare invoices to bill OPAL tenants or homeowners for utilities.
- May purchase supplies for OPAL office or Reddick Property building maintenance and landscaping.
- Assist with year-end closing activities and preparations for audit.
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately.
- Preserves value and integrity of OPAL by protecting privacy and security of sensitive information.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred: 5 years bookkeeping or accounting experience and familiarity with MIP or other fund accounting software is.
Required: 1 year bookkeeping or accounting experience and proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, data entry skills and general math skills.
Desirable characteristics include attention to detail, thoroughness, organizational skills, the ability to analyze information, and the ability to establish and maintain positive relationships. Belief in permanently affordable housing and the economic sustainability of Orcas Island a plus.
Work Conditions and Physical Demands
Work is performed indoors. Sitting for one or more hours at a time. Occasional standing and walking on level surfaces. Occasional lifting and carrying of 10 pounds maximum. Seeing, reaching, handling and fingering to use PC, printer/copier/scanner and calculator, and file documents. Hearing and talking to use telephone.
To Apply for the Position
Interested? Please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to OPAL Community Land Trust, PO Box 1133, Eastsound WA 98245. Review of applications will begin the week of November 7, 2022. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.