The mission of OPAL Community Land Trust is to help sustain Orcas Island as a healthy, economically diverse community by providing permanently affordable homes and support for islanders – families, seniors, and singles – whose housing needs are not met by the traditional market.
To accomplish its mission, OPAL:
- acquires land and buildings;
- develops land in an environmentally and socially responsible manner;
- constructs or renovates buildings so that they are healthy, durable and energy efficient;
- educates and counsels homebuyers and rental tenants; and
- stewards what it creates for current and future generations.
OPAL’s Vision for 2018
OPAL trustees are committed to continuing to meet the need for permanently affordable access to land and housing on Orcas Island. Goals for 2018:
- April’s Grove Rental Housing: Fully funded and commence construction with completion in early 2020.
- Island Loan Fund: Issue a private offering and make an estimated four loans for home purchase or repair.
- Advocate for legislative and administrative changes to increase funding and financing for affordable housing.
- Facilitate the resale of an estimated four existing OPAL homes.
- Continue to be supported financially by private donations, including large and small gifts, and by a variety of public funding sources, including a county fund.
- OPAL is a community-based, community-supported, and consensus-driven organization known for innovating sustainable solutions to evolving need;
- OPAL homeowners and tenants are integral participants in the work and creativity of island life;
- OPAL is supported by a growing number of dynamic, dedicated, and creative volunteers, led by an engaged, well-connected, and mission-driven board of 10 to 12 trustees;
- OPAL is served by a highly skilled and dedicated staff, who implement projects and programs in response to community needs and direction by the board of trustees;
- OPAL works in partnership with other community land trusts through the CLT Alliance of the San Juan Islands and the Northwest CLT Coalition, and in collaboration or partnership with other organizations that help to provide permanently affordable access to land and housing;
- OPAL is a resource and support for OPAL homeowners in maintaining their homes and governing their neighborhoods;
- OPAL is a model steward of the land and buildings that it owns.
A PDF copy of OPAL’s Long-Range Plan looking toward the year 2020 is available on the Publications page.