The mission of OPAL Community Land Trust is to help sustain Orcas Island as a healthy, economically diverse community by providing permanently affordable homes and support for islanders – families, seniors, and singles – whose housing needs are not met by the traditional market.
To accomplish its mission, OPAL:
- acquires land and buildings;
- develops land in an environmentally and socially responsible manner;
- constructs or renovates buildings so that they are healthy, durable and energy efficient;
- educates and counsels homebuyers and rental tenants;
- facilitates financing for mortgages and home repairs; and
- stewards what it creates for current and future generations.