April’s Grove Townhomes
April’s Grove is a cluster of 45 affordable rental townhomes. The property is across the street from Children’s House and the Funhouse Commons and next to the public school – close enough for the kids who live there to be able to walk easily and safely. It’s convenient for anyone who will be working in Eastsound and for seniors to shop and attend events. We hope that residents will rarely need to use a car for their daily activities.
Applications are available online through the link below, at the April’s Grove office in the Commons Building at April’s Grove, OPAL Community Land Trust, Lavender Hollow Apartments, Orcas Community Resource Center and the Public Library. Completed applications MUST be returned either in person or by mail to the April’s Grove office at April’s Grove in order to be eligible.
For answers to some Frequently Asked Questions please click here to view the April’s Grove FAQ Sheet. The site plan for the property can be downloaded here: April’s Grove Site Plan Simplified.
For the Preliminary Application, please click here.
Si habla español:
Haga clic aquí para Requisitos de Elegibilidad de April’s Grove
Haga clic aquí para la solicitud preliminar.
Haga clic aquí para la hoja de preguntas frecuentes de April’s Grove
April’s Grove has both income and need-based restrictions. 41 out of 45 townhomes are income restricted, meaning you cannot make more than a certain amount annually, adjusted by family size. Also, some needs will get priority for a limited number of townhomes. Five eligibility requirements are explained in more detail below.
1. Income Eligibility*:
21 Units are available to applicants earning up to 50% Area Median Income (AMI)
For 2021, 50% of AMI is:
Estimated Monthly Rent for applicants earning up to 50% of AMI:
- Studio: $595
- 1 Bedroom: $634
- 2 Bedroom: $768
- 3 Bedroom: $878
20 Units are available to applicants earning up to 60% of Area Median Income (AMI)
For 2021, 60% of AMI is:
Estimated Monthly Rent for applicants earning up to 60% of AMI
- Studio: $730
- 1 Bedroom: $779
- 2 Bedroom: $941
- 3 Bedroom: $1,078
4 Market Rent Units (No income limit) Estimated Monthly Rent
- 2 Bedroom: $1,289
- 3 Bedroom: $1,511
2. Occupancy Standards Eligibility:
A minimum of one person per bedroom.
A maximum of two persons per bedroom plus one additional person per unit at move-in.
- Studio: 1-2 persons
- 1 Bedroom: 1-3 persons
- 2 Bedroom: 2-5 persons
- 3 Bedroom: 3-7 persons
3. San Juan County Resident Eligibility:
With all things being equal, April’s Grove will prioritize for its housing households with at least one member who has resided in San Juan County for at least one year preceding occupancy or who is an employee of, or has an employment contract with an employer in San Juan County.
4. Landlord Verification and References Eligibility:
References must indicate a likelihood of success as a tenant and must reflect an ongoing ability to pay rent. A household must earn at least two times the monthly townhome rent. Both short term and long term rental assistance may be available to help households become eligible.
5. Rental Screening Eligibility:
- Must have a good report from a rental screening service. There is a charge to the applicant for the actual cost of this service.
- Must submit a complete application with no omissions and attend at least one in-person interview.
- Must have good landlord/good housekeeping references.
- Must have good credit/be able to demonstrate the ability to pay rent.
- Must be legally responsible to enter lease agreement.
- Must be capable to carry out lease requirements.
- Must not be engaging in any illegal activities.
- All rental history in the past 24 months for all adult applications will be considered in the context of the applicant’s ability to perform the obligations of the lease.
For more information, please contact:
Management Staff Jeremy King or Erin Davis
April’s Grove Office, PO Box 192 Eastsound, WA 98245
For a copy of the Eligibility Flyer click here.
*Income limits may be revised annually.